Monday, August 2, 2010

I Love Rock 'n Roll

I'm not going to lie. I was (and still am) very excited about my podcasting of the Battle of the Bands in Grahamstown. Not only because I love watching live music, but also because this is an opportunity to really combine my radio skills and my love of music.

But I also have to admit that I was also incredibly nervous about the whole process because it involves lots of things which I either haven't tried or feel a little technically shaky about.



We've never done podcasting like this before and my main worry was the quick rate at which the work would have to be done while at the same time being absolute quality. The editing and mixing that would have to be done in a fairly limited time made me fairly apprehensive because I would have to get all the sound I have, pick the best bits and then make them all into one cohesive ten minute piece that sounds good.

Another thing I was really worried about was my own voice being a huge part of the podcasts because it would be the thread that carries each episode through. I had to decide what this "voice" would be and gain some major courage to get over the fear of my own voice.

So when I went out on Saturday evening to the first round of The Battle of the Bands at Slipstream I was pretty darn nervous but also quite excited to see how things would turn out. After a very helpful suggestion I made friends with the sound technition who was more than helpful with the capturing of the bands.

I also had a surprisingly good time talking to the hyped up bands after each of their sets and to some enthusiastic music lovers. The voice I decided to go with was my own since this is as much my own experience of the shows as it is everyone else's and I'm trying to share that with who ever happens to be listening.My favourite parts of the evening was hearing one of the guys in a band say I made him feel like a rock star and getting to feel important with my earphones and mic. The absolute best part though was getting to talk to the guest band, The Catlike Thieves, from Durban who are trying to start up their music careers.  

The first episode is now a work in progress which I'm also suprised to say I'm enjoying. I just hope that I get the feel of the evening across and it sounds as good as it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment